- Appearance: clear oily liquid
- Color: pale yellow to greenish-yellow
- Smell: characteristic of virgin borage oil, note evoking the egg
- Touch: fatty. If you want to improve its penetration into the skin, mix it with more penetrating oil (Kukui, Macadamia, Hazelnut, Jojoba ...).
Fatty acid composition - gas phase chromatography of batch 19HV0079:
- Polyunsaturated essential fatty acids (PUFA or EFA) or vitamin F: linoleic acid (omega-6) (38.36%), gamma-linolenic acid (omega-6) (18.84%)
- Monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA): oleic acid (18.82%), erucic acid (2.64%)
- Saturated fatty acids (AGS): palmitic acid (10.18%)
Fatty acid composition - gas phase chromatography of batch 19HV0210 :
- Polyunsaturated essential fatty acids (PUFA or EFA) or vitamin F: linoleic acid (omega-6) (37.50%), gamma-linolenic acid (omega-6) (18.76%)
- Monounsaturated fatty acids (MIFA): oleic acid (19.58%), erucic acid (2.57%)
- Saturated fatty acids (AGS): palmitic acid (9.84%)
Focus on gamma-linolenic acid: Gamma-linolenic acid is a fatty acid synthesized naturally by our body from linoleic acid. This fatty acid is essential for immunity, anti-infectious and anti-allergic defenses. In addition, it plays an important role in the hydration and suppleness of the skin.
It is therefore important to bring it directly from the outside. Only a few vegetable oils contain gamma-linolenic acid in these proportions: borage oil, evening primrose oil is the best known.
Focus on omega-6s: Omega-6s are one of the essential fatty acids because the human body cannot produce them. An external contribution is therefore essential. Omega-6s, represented by linoleic acid, are used in the composition of ceramides. They participate in the reconstitution of epidermal lipids and are involved in membrane fluidity. Linoleic acid helps limit water loss from the skin while having softening and nutritive qualities.
Other active constituents :
Unsaponifiables (2-3%) including:
- Phytosterols (including campesterol, sitosterol): improve the barrier function of the skin and microcirculation, slow down skin aging, anti-inflammatory drugs, protect against the action of UV
- Vitamin E (1267mg / kg of oil, mainly δ-tocopherols and γ-tocopherols) : natural antioxidants